Can You Do It?

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The simple answer is, Yes! Of course you can as long as you have the determination to set aside a few hours a week. My goal here is to provide all of the information that you need, including what workouts to do each week in preparation for racing your first triathlon.

I am writing this a a person who has raced triathlons for four years. I have raced everything from local sprint distance triathlons to the Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii. Over the years I have helped others train for their first triathlon and achieve a healthier lifestyle. I am often asked general questions like “How do I get started,” “What type of bike should a person get,” “Do I really need a coach,” "How do I finish?"

I am not an expert, but I have tried just about every trick out there, bought most of the gear available and can easily distinguish between the message that we get from advertising, and what we really need complete a triathlon. If there is a topic that I may lack information, I will consult experts.

You can do it. Many people have little to no background in swimming, biking, and running. All you need is the desire to create a healthy lifestyle. I simply lifted weights before my first race, since then I have lost 25lbs, and gone from back of the finishing pack to a consistent top 10 finisher.

The commitment is probably less than you think as well. For the race coming up in August, you can train an average of 3 to 5 hours per week. All ages compete. There are races designed for children and people at 80 years old who are still finishing Ironman distance races.

Triathletes are a diversified group. You will find people of all shapes, sizes, and colors. Looks can be deceiving, but the largest asset you can posses is simple determination.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This blog is being provided as a free resource by the Norwich Bulletin to encourage its readers to live a healthier lifestyle.